For more than 100 years the Post Office and Telegraph Station served the north Queensland town of Cardwell, performing an integral role in the history of that part of the State.
As a Post Office, which operated from 1870 until 1982, it is proof of the important communications technology of the 19th Century, the telegraph service, and it is one of the oldest surviving timber buildings in the north Queensland region.
With $500,000 in funding from the Queensland Heritage Trails Network, the building was conserved and interpretive displays installed. Visitors will gain an insight into a reconstructed working telegraph office and the history of communications from message sticks to satellites.
The history of building the telegraph line and that of the settlement of the Cardwell region from European and Indigenous perspectives is also presented.